If you feel that you are concentrating too much on small details at the expense of a bolder, more dramatic outcome, this step-by-step workshop will help you to learn what to paint and more importantly, what to leave out. You will practice using bigger brushes and ample paint. We will take color to new unexpected places by working with simplified values. You will learn how to loosen up and apply your paint in a gestural, painterly manner. Join us for targeted instruction and training – this may open the door to an exciting new level of creativity and artistic expression. Supply list available online.
The workshop begins with a full explanation of materials, methods and a step-by-step painting demo.
You will learn and practice:
– how to simplify and see values clearly
– how to create a value sketch as a “roadmap” to a successful painting
– how to translate values into colors
– how to simplify – knowing what detail is important – and what is not
– how to paint with fewer strokes for a bolder look
– how to work with thicker paint and bigger brushes
– how to keep colors clean and bright
– how to get energetic, gestural brushwork
Feb 26 – 28
Sunday – Tuesday
9:30 – 4:30 PM